Saturday, November 13, 2010

Raise the red lantern

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON (Image ID: Malaysia2010-3575)


I shot this outside the Pavilion centre in Kuala Lumpur on a hot, humid January day this year. We had walked past the place the previous evening and my attention was caught by a beautiful floral display in the courtyard, as well as the lanterns that seemed to rain down from the atrium above.

But the real challenge was to shoot the red cascade from a different point of view, rather than simply front-on. By shooting it from directly underneath, it brought fresh perspective, as well as the reflections behind the lanterns. For me, the bonus was being able to see the clear glass atrium above, with the geometrical squares against the sky.

By the way, if you fancy your powers of observation, take a simple 30-second challenge here that I've posted on my Red Bubble site.

No comments:

Post a Comment