Sunday, November 14, 2010

Going for gold


Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON (Image ID: 125-7680)


Sometimes the more unusual shots occur in places where you wouldn't instinctively look. There was a great sunset across the Yarra on a late-April evening, and after I took a couple of shots across the shimmering river, I turned my attention to the city skyline in the opposite direction.

Briefly, the golden glow transformed an ordinary office building into a huge vertical ingot - yet it didn't endow the surrounding buildings with any special effects. I guess I framed this tight image to concentrate on the contrast, to highlight the semi-abstract view, and to include the nearby spire of St Paul's Cathedral. And yes, the flawless sky can be seen as well, between the skyscrapers.

Who said city skylines are dull?

No comments:

Post a Comment