Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'll Huff And I'll Puff

And I'll (Almost) Blow Your House Down

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON



These shots were taken just after 7am last Sunday, during the storm that lashed Victoria, bringing down trees and taking roof tiles off houses. The state had been buffeted by gale-force winds for more than twelve hours and even after daylight arrived, there was no sign of conditions abating.

I had just realised that the tarpaulin cover for our backyard barbecue had been blown off, so I went out into the garden to try and replace it. But the storm made a mockery of my efforts. Even as I tried to replace the cover, the storm continued to lift it, so I just gave up, put the cover away and decided to come back to it later.

No big deal, you're thinking. Maybe not. But before Mrs Authorblog bought me this new barbecue, our old one had a heavy steel cover that snugly embraced the appliance. And during some storms, we'd find that the wind had picked up the cover and flung it around the back yard.

Storms that were nowhere near as savage as this one!


For other participants in Dot’s concept, go to Sky Watch HQ.

No comments:

Post a Comment