Monday, July 20, 2009

Image Building

Hello Dali, Well, Hello Dali

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I reckon I've walked past this building dozens of times, but what caught my attention about five weeks ago, when I took these shots, was the interesting, moody sky reflected in the sharply segmented exterior glass of the structure.

It was a grey winter day with scattered patches of blue sky, and I stood there for a few seconds, enthralled by the wonderful reflection I could see. You see, this building is on the south side of the Yarra, but because of where I was standing, I could actually see the reflection of the Optus building and other offices on the other side of the river bank.

Then when I sat down at my computer later and examined the images, something caught my eye. See how the word "Optus" is reversed - as you'd expect in a mirror image?

Now look at the bottom image and have a look at the very dark flag (in the bottom left-hand corner) advertising the Salvador Dali exhibition. Well, here's the puzzle - the lettering is the right way round.

It took me at least a minute to figure it out. The flag was obviously flying the wrong way round in the crisp, cold breeze - but the reflection has inverted it to seem "normal".


Visit the creative team behind That's My World Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment