Friday, June 26, 2009

Flag Day

Fancy A Flutter, Mate?

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


There’s nothing like a crisp blue winter sky if you want to shoot flags fluttering in a strong breeze. Actually, we are a few days past the winter solstice here in Melbourne and the days are (imperceptibly) getting longer, with an extra minute of daylight every evening – but this shot was taken about four weeks ago, in late May, the last week of autumn.

I was walking up Bourke Street when I noticed this cluster of flags near a visitor information booth. I was about to shoot them front-on against the façade of a building when I realised there was a better shot if I kept walking and turned round in the other direction.

That way, I was facing a clear blue sky, the perfect foil for these long rectangular flags. Also, by shooting from this angle, the actual lettering on the flags is the wrong way around – so it’s kind of irresistible to try and sit there for a couple of extra moments and work out what the message is.

Just for the record, the flags were advertising last month's "Melbourne Italian Festival".


Visit TNChick's Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Flags''.

No comments:

Post a Comment