Saturday, September 12, 2009

Eye Eye, Sir

This Was The Mane Event

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I've shot elephants at close quarters before, during a 1998 trip to Bali, Indonesia - but I've never used a camera in close proximity to horses until recently.

A couple of weeks ago, I was shooting images of a couple of horses in a Melbourne paddock near Churchill National Park, gradually working my way closer since they were not familiar with me.

The thing I was really worried about was that, if I got too close, the sound of the camera might scare them. But it’s hard work trying to shoot close-ups of horses, especially as these two were restless because of the presence of a stranger.

Most of the images I shot were side-on, but this horse suddenly gave me a full-frontal view for a couple of seconds. Grateful for the unusual viewpoint, I composed the shot as quickly as I could, looking down onto the bulge of both eyeballs.

Check out the rules at Camera Critters or go to Misty Dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment